City, State Zip
February 22, 2004
Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement
Attention: FOIA Branch
425 I Street N.W., Room 4038
Washington, DC 20536
Phone: (202) 353-8906
Fax: (202) 514-8345 or 616-7612
RE: FOIA Request for information on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) “Wanted Criminal Aliens”, “Fugitive Criminal Aliens”, and “Alien Absconders”
This is Part 1 of a two-part request.
Part 1: Information on the database(s)
Part 2: The database(s) to be requested at a later date
Dear Sir or Madam:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. § 552.
I request the following documents (or documents pertaining to the following) be provided to me as photocopies and in a digital format on a disk(s):
- The name of the database(s) that contains information on ICE’s:
- Wanted Criminal Aliens
- Fugitive Criminal Aliens
- Alien Absconders
- The data dictionary for this database or these databases, which should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- The Custodian of Record for this database or these databases
- The native format of this database or these databases
- The format(s) that this database or these databases can be exported to
- The format(s) of the photographs in this or these databases, how they are linked or referenced
- Query abilities of the database(s).
If the requested document (or documents) is not in your possession, please forward this request to the appropriate individual(s).
Rationale for this request:
- The website at http://www.ice.gov/graphics/enforce/mostwanted.pdf [http://www.ice.gov/graphics/investigations/wanted/mostwanted.pdf] (3) lists 10 wanted criminal aliens, and 7 of the 10 are wanted for crimes against children. There are close to 400,000 alien absconders at large in the United States of America, and these criminal aliens pose a serious threat to everyone who lives and/or visits the US.
- These at large criminal alien sex offenders pose an extreme threat to children because these offenders are not included in the Megan’s Law Databases, and neither law enforcement nor the public knows who or where they are.
- Considering the large number of criminal aliens at large in the US, posting information on 10 of them is woefully inadequate.
- If the public were aware of the criminal aliens in the US, the public could help identify these criminals.
- If the public were aware of the large number of criminal aliens in the US, the public would demand that Congress provide adequate funding for ICE.
- Releasing this information will shed light on where and how the government has failed in its performance of its statutory duties.
Intended use of the requested information:
The information will be made widely available to the public, free of charge, on several websites that I own and operate to be a resource to the public and law enforcement.
Expectation of privacy:
No wanted criminal has an expectation of privacy.
Information on active investigation(s):
No information is being requested on active or inactive investigation. The only information being requested is what appears on ICE wanted poster. (1)
I would also like information on “Residency status”, “Case status”, and information on where the crime(s) was committed. (2)
Justification for Release under FOIA:
- This request is clearly in the public interest
- There is clearly a strong public interest
- The request fulfills the core purpose of the FOIA to “…check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed,"
- The request fulfills the purpose for which Congress enacted it: to “…shed light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties."
- The requested information does directly reveal the operations or activities of the federal government.
Justification for a waiver of all fees:
- I request a waiver of all fees for this request, as disclosure of the requested information to me is in the public interest because it is likely to significantly contribute to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government.
- The requested information will be made widely available to the public, free of charge, on several websites that I own and operate.
Please expedite the processing of this request.
I thank you for your consideration of my request. If you have any questions when processing this request, please contact me.
- Information contained on an ICE Criminal Alien Wanted Poster:
- Last name:
- First name:
- Wanted for deportation:
- Criminal activity:
- ICE file #:
- NCIC #:
- City and state of last known residence:
- Information not included on an ICE Criminal Alien Wanted Poster, but to be requested in Part 2 of this FOIA.
- Case status: Have they been captured?
- Residency status:
- Where the crime(s) was committed:
- The link has been updated
*This document was converted from a word document to HTML.
Some of the formatting may have been lost.*
Home | Back